- Accounts & Access
- Business Applications
- Computers & Software
- Email & Calendar
- Help & Support
- IT Security
- Network & Telecom
- Web Services
Info & Resources:
Student Technology Assistance and Resource (STAR) Lab
Also known as: STAR Lab
Available to: Students, Faculty & Staff
Editing stations are available for post-production work. Edit, create, and export videos using STAR Lab resources. Student mentors with specialized knowledge of video editing software are on hand to assist with troubleshooting.
All video Macs support Adobe CC Production Package as well as Final Cut X and iMovie. Video PCs are available with Adobe Premiere Pro editing software and Windows Media. All multimedia PCs and Macs are equipped with the full Adobe Design Premium Suite, scanners, and print capabilities. Game Design Lab in the STAR Lab is equipped with three powerful PC and two Mac stations with specialized game design software. Also included in the lab are flat screen monitors and white board walls to allow students to storyboard, design, and test their projects. Each computer is equipped with a tablet device, as well as top of the line game design software.
A small production studio space is available for students, faculty, and staff to complete video production projects.
- This space can be reserved in three hour blocks with a valid Mason student or faculty ID and can be used for a wide range of video, still photography, or other multimedia work.
- Users may bring their own equipment or check out production equipment from the STAR Lab.
- Users may not use the Studio BroadcastPix system or the broadcast cameras in the space.
- The STAR Lab Studio is available during lab hours only.
High-end video production equipment is available for check out through the STAR Lab. The following tools are available to rent:
- Video cameras: Canon XA-10, Canon C100 and C100 Mark II, Panasonic GH4, Sony FS-700 and BlackMagic Cinema Camera
- Audio recorders and field mixers: Zoom F8, Tascam DR-100 and DR-05, and Azden FMX-42a.
- Microphones: Wired and wireless lavaliers, dynamic and condenser microphones.
- Tripods, shoulder rigs, sliders.
- Audio kits equipped with headphones, a dynamic or condenser mic and a wired lavalier.
- Light kits: LED and tungsten
Some high end/more specialized equipment will only be available to students of those specific majors, or students who have taken certain classes.
- All students, faculty, and staff can use the lab and checkout basic video production equipment; some specialized equipment may require more authorizations.
- While reservations are not required, please be aware that during peak seasons or when time is critical to the completion of your project, you should plan accordingly by reserving the equipment you need.
- Computer stations are reserved in three-hour time slots while equipment may be checked out for up to six hours per day by students, staff, and faculty.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late your appointment will be forfeited.
- Borrowers accept responsibility for safe, timely, clean and undamaged return of the equipment they have checked out. They will also be responsible for the replacement and/or repair of damaged equipment.
- Borrowers will be charged of a late fee of $5.00/hour for delinquent equipment, as well as an additional $5.00 for each instance the equipment has been kept overnight without prior authorization. Unpaid fines will result in a hold on the borrower’s academic records and/or university account. Account holds preclude students from registering for classes or graduating.
- Failure to return equipment may result in action by the Dean of Students or the University Police. Borrowers will be responsible for any legal fees and costs associated with such action.
- George Mason University’s policy on Responsible Use of Computing.
How to Get this Service
- To reserve equipment, click here and log-in with your Mason credentials (NetID).
- Please bring your university-issued ID as proof of university affiliation.
- There is no charge for this service.
There is no charge for this service.
Monday thru Thursday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Monday thru Friday: 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
STAR Lab will not be open during Spring Break and Winter Holidays.
Getting HelpThe STAR Lab is located on the second floor of the Johnson Center, Room 229. For more information or to make a reservation, call 703-993-8990 or click here.
Last modified date: March 27, 2018