- Accounts & Access
- Business Applications
- Computers & Software
- Email & Calendar
- Help & Support
- IT Security
- Network & Telecom
- Web Services
Info & Resources:
Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor
Available to: Students
Service SummaryRespondus LockDown Browser is a custom web browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard Courses. Instructors can choose to require the LockDown Browser for any existing deployed test in their course. When using Respondus LockDown Browser, students are unable to print, copy, go to another website, or access other applications on their computer. When an assessment is started, students are locked into the test until it is submitted for grading.
Respondus Monitor is an additional option that records webcam audio and video of the student taking the test. This ensures student identity and that the instructor's requirements such as a closed book or working alone are followed. By default, Respondus Monitor will record both video and ambient sound. Instructors can review the video after the test is complete.
- The Lockdown Browser application is a separate browser that instructors may require to take a test in Blackboard. If the test in Blackboard says, "Requires Respondus LockDown Browser" it cannot be taken using a standard browser such as Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer.
- The LockDown Browser application only needs to be installed once to a computer.
- Once a test has been started with LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor, students cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.
- To utilize Respondus Monitor, students must have access to both a computer and functional webcam.
- Before using Respondus Monitor, Adobe Flash must be installed on your computer. Regardless of your default or preferred web browser, PC users use must Internet Explorer and Mac users must use Safari to verify and update Adobe Flash. For Adobe Flash updates visit this URL.
How to Get this Service
- Students must download the LockDown Browser from myMason. Instructions can be found in the Respondus Tools module located in the Courses tab on the myMason website. Download Respondus LockDown Browser
- Taking a test online
- Respondus Monitor Troubleshooting
- Using Respondus Monitor with LockDown Browser
There is no charge for this service.
This service is available upon faculty's request
Getting HelpFor help with Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot log into Blackboard, contact the ITS Support Center at 703-993-8870.
Last modified date: April 24, 2015