- Accounts & Access
- Business Applications
- Computers & Software
- Email & Calendar
- Help & Support
- IT Security
- Network & Telecom
- Web Services
Info & Resources:
Symantec Endpoint Protection
Also known as: SEP 14; Antivirus; Software Antivirus
Available to: Students, Faculty & Staff
The IT Security Office is using Symantec Endpoint Protection version 14. It is available for all university-owned resources as well as faculty, staff, and student systems.
Symantec Endpoint Protection 14 (SEP 14) combines technologies from previous Symantec products such as:
- Antivirus and antispyware: Antivirus and antispyware scans detect viruses and other security risks, including spyware, adware, and other files, that can put a computer or a network at risk.
- Personal firewall: The Symantec Endpoint Protection firewall provides a barrier between the computer and the Internet, preventing unauthorized users from accessing the computers and networks. It detects possible hacker attacks, protects personal information, and eliminates unwanted sources of network traffic.
- Intrusion prevention: The Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) is the Symantec Endpoint Protection client's second layer of defense after the firewall. The intrusion prevention system is a network-based system. If a known attack is detected, one or more intrusion prevention technologies can automatically block it.
- Proactive threat scanning: Proactive threat scanning uses heuristics to detect unknown threats. Heuristic process scanning analyzes the behavior of an application or process to determine if it exhibits characteristics of threats, such as Trojan horses, worms, or keyloggers. This type of protection is sometimes referred to as zero-day protection.
- Kernel-level rootkit protection: Symantec Endpoint Protection expands rootkit protection to detect and repair kernel-level rootkits. Rootkits are programs that hide from a computer's operating system and can be used for malicious purposes.
- Enhanced LiveUpdate: LiveUpdate now supports the downloading and installation of a wide variety of content, including definitions, signatures, whitelists to prevent false positives, engines, security patches for client vulnerabilities, and product updates.
Mason will provide two different configurations to users: faculty/staff-managed and student/home-unmanaged.
- Faculty/Staff-Managed: This configuration is for systems on the MESA domain and remote access (VPN) users. Managed systems will automatically receive updates preconfigured with best practices.
- Student/Home-Unmanaged: This configuration is for student and personal systems not on the MESA domain. While users will have the ability to adjust the features provided, they will be responsible for maintaining and updating the software if their systems or settings are changed.
How to Get this Service
Users connected to MESA will automatically be upgraded to the new version with minimal impact.
Users not connected to MESA will have to download the new version from the IT Services Downloads page or http://itservices.gmu.edu/downloads/antivirus-information.cfm.
**The first time you open Firefox and Internet Explorer (IE) after installing SEP 14, you will be asked to allow or deny IPS add-ons. Make sure you click ALLOW.
New systems and rebuilt systems come with SEP 14 already installed.
There is no charge for this service.
This service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages, normal maintenance windows, and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are Sundays from 7 to 11 a.m. but may be extended to 2 p.m., if needed. If maintenance is required outside of these hours, it will be announced on the Planned Outages web page.
If you are a System Administrator, please contact the IT Security Office at 703-993-5633 or email@example.com for additional information.
Assistance for all IT Services is available through the ITS Support Center:
|Online:||Submit a Request|
|Hours of Operation:||Monday thru Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. and Fridays, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
|Walk-in Support |
|Innovation Hall, Room 226|
Monday thru Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. and Fridays, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
(*closed Thursdays 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. for team meetings)
Last modified date: August 1, 2014