- Accounts & Access
- Business Applications
- Computers & Software
- E-mail & Calendar
- Help & Support
- IT Security
- Network & Telecom
- Web Services
Info & Resources:
Available to: Students, Faculty & Staff
Mason’s wireless networks are designed to complement wired network services and provide convenient and secure access to network resources and the Internet. Information Technology Services (ITS) provides wireless network access in all academic, administrative, residential, recreational, and dining spaces across the university. Please contact the ITS Support Center to report concerns about wireless coverage or access, and Network Engineering will engage with you to resolve the issue. Wireless networks are available to Mason faculty, staff, and students, their sponsored guests, and members of the eduroam federation.
Mason offers three broadcast wireless networks to the university community:
- MASON-SECURE is an encrypted wireless network open to Mason faculty, staff, and students only. This network uses 802.1x for authentication and authorization. Network Engineering recommends that all faculty, staff, and student devices that support 802.1x be configured to join this network.
- MASON is an unencrypted wireless network for registered devices and captive portal authentication. This network is targeted to visitors and guests, but is open to the entire Mason community. Via device registration, it supports faculty, staff, and student devices that cannot use 802.1x.
- eduroam is an encrypted wireless network open to members of the eduroam federation. This network uses 802.1x for authentication and authorization. This network is targeted to eduroam visitors and guests, but is open to the entire Mason community.
For better security and the most feature rich experience at Mason and beyond, Network Engineering recommends everyone configure their devices for 802.1x authentication. As an alternative to 802.1x authentication, Mason faculty, staff, students may register up to five devices for network access. While any device can be registered, Network Engineering recommends this only for devices that cannot use 802.1x authentication, such as wireless printers, robotics systems, and game consoles.
All users of Mason’s wireless network must adhere to:
- University Policy Number 1302: Wireless Networking and
- University Policy Number 1301: Responsible Use of Computing.
How to Get this Service
These three wireless networks are available from every wireless access point on campus. To use MASON-SECURE and eduroam, you must configure your device for 802.1x authentication. Please see the 802.1x Authentication service catalog entry for more Information.
To use MASON, you must authenticate via a captive portal or register your device. To register a device, visit https://mydevices.gmu.edu. Visitors and guests may also register for access. Please see the Guest Network Access service catalog entry for more information.
There are no charges to faculty, staff, and students for wireless network access.
This service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages, normal maintenance windows, and unavoidable events. Maintenance windows are Sundays from 7 to 10 a.m. but may be extended to 2 p.m., if needed. If maintenance is required outside of these hours, it will be announced on the Planned Outages web page.
Assistance for all IT Services is available through the ITU Support Center:
|Online:||Submit a Request|
|Hours of Operation:||Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.|
|Walk-in Support |
|Innovation Hall, Room 233|
Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
(*closed Thursdays 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. for team meetings)
Last modified date: March 11, 2015